Friday, December 31, 2010

Saving a Buck ~ A Poor College Student's Guide

Being a poor college student, I've figured out some handy habits (and some neat tricks!) to save money. With the new year coming, I thought it would be nice to post some that I used most in 2010.

1. Dont Buy Books New: Whether it's text books, reading books, reference books, or the latest bestseller, I've found that buying online is cheaper 99% of the time, and often you can get things good as new!
My favorite site for buying used books is www.half.com
Another good site for buying used books is www.amazon.com

I saved over $100  Buying my text books online for the upcoming semester.



2. Look Around For Student Discounts: Whether you need to buy a new computer, or a piece of software, search around to see what sort of student discounts you can get. Many companies, such as Microsoft and Dell offer substantial discounts for college students. Taking 15-30 minutes to research a little, and set up whatever accounts you need could save you hundreds of dollars on something you were planning to buy anyway!

3. Go Pre-paid on Cell-Phones: I'm a gadget person, and I like the convenience of a cell phone. However, I'm often shocked at how much people pay for their service! (And how little of it they use.) There are MANY pre-paid services available. You should research which ones get best reception in your area. (Ask friends and neighbours what they use...often times bigger companies that offer the long yearly contracts with monthly charges have a pre-paid option!

4. Dont Be a Stickler For Name Brands: When it comes to things like clothing, food, etc. people can often be picky when it comes to brands. However, many times it's just the 'name' you are paying for an no extra quality or product. Try buying canned/boxed food goods at a budget grocery store. (Aldi's is popular in the midwest.) With clothing, it's harder to pick brands that are decent, and not selling their label. I've found, however, that the 25 dollar jeans I buy from the local department store last just as long and serve just as well as the 150 dollar jeans with the fancy label/brand patch on the back from the mall.

If you are super loyal to a particular brand, shop online! I'm always amazed at what I can find at places like eBay, or what sort of deals I can get at the brand's online website!

5. Keep Things in Selling Order: I dont just buy books and other stuff online, I sell stuff too! Often when I'm finished with a course, I resell the book for nearly the price I bought it. Often times with movies, gadgets, it's the same way. (I get bored with my movies and frequently sell them.) Keeping things nice will help you get the most out of it when you decide to sell! Refrain from folding pages, hi-lighting, scrapping dust jackets, losing cases, etc. Take a little time to take care of things, and you will get much more money for them later on.

6. Dont Live By Yourself: Sharing expenses such as rent, electric, internet, etc with a roommate can greatly reduce your month to month expenses. Also splitting up the responsibility of furnishing an apartment can save you hundreds of dollars. But dont always feel like you have to go out and buy things! Ask around, check in on friends who are moving out at the end of a semester. You can find a lot of free stuff people are trying to get rid of! (Just be nice and pass it on to another friend in need when you are done...)

7. Learn to Live Without: Most of what we think we need we can really live without. I have lived without cable television (or any sort of subscription television) for over 9 months, and have saved hundreds of dollars. I still watch many of my favorite shows online via the network's website, or sites such as Hulu.com.
You really dont need every gadget (whether it's an electronic gadget or a kitchen gadget) or every convenience, or every new 'hot' item that comes out.

8. Sweat the Small Stuff: Most of your cash will not get reduced due to large purchases you make infrequently. Most of your cash leaks come from small things you buy on the day to day basis. Keep track sometime just to see where these leaks are, whether it's that caramel mocha you cant live without every day, or the frequent stops to KFC...or the movie rental store.

No comments:

Post a Comment