Monday, December 27, 2010

An Idea for a Personalized Menu

After being surrounded by food all weekend...and pondering choices for New Year's resolutions, I had an interesting idea for an application dealing with personalized menus.

Being a college student, it's not easy to stay organized. I'm still working on the project that will "balance my checkbook for me." However, I thought it would be very cool to have a menu maker that would help organize meals, tell me when I need to go shopping, and help in general organization.

Here's the idea: a very simply menu maker. You enter recipes for things you make, including ingredients, how much each costs, etc. You enter in what you will make when, how many servings it will have, when you will eat which serving...etc. The database will store the recipes, the current prices of the ingredients, and information regarding menus.

The program would then spit out how much your food will cost that week, shopping lists, etc. If I wanted to get REALLY fancy, it could tell me which ingredients I had in inventory left over from last week, price trends based on what I make each week, as well as allow for 'random' weekly menus. (Enter in common meals and have it generate a weekly menu.)

Anyway, just a random idea. I will stow it away for a rainy (or snowy!) day.

No comments:

Post a Comment