Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Database Woes

Finally I am on break and can experiment with a few things without the stress of major deadlines coming up.

Right now, I'm playing with Visual Studio 2010, and am liking the idea of built in source control. My team has been using SVN to date, and have had horrible issues. For starters, differentiating between the files you actually need to control, and which are just auto generated user defined files that everyone doesn't need has been a headache.

I've seen various posts online about getting rid of this or that file, and after trying, have found that other team members' projects suddenly no longer work, and it's back to square one.

At any rate, I'm home for the holidays with no access to the server, so will try the Visual Studio source control functionality when I get back.

On another note, I have had a horrible time using a Microsoft Access database with Visual Studio. Getting drop down boxes to pull in data is no problem, but figuring out how to populate other controls based on a bound control has been a nightmare. For example, I have two drop down menus. (aka. combo boxes) I want the second one to populate based on what is selected in the first one, but cannot find any good resources on specifically how to do this.

I'm sure there is an easy way...possibly through some sort of wizard as Visual Studio seems to have a wizard for everything. However, it doesn't seem like the bulk of information out there is for using Access databases...mainly, because most people probably use something that actually has LINQ functionality. (Probably for good reasons that have not been divulged to me yet.)

Oh well. Still trudging along.

No comments:

Post a Comment